Hi! Welcome to my new blog, “Diary of a Healthy Nerd.” First off, I’ll start with a little bit about myself.
I have always been a self-proclaimed nerd. I grew up reading books, playing video games, and delving into the details of cutting edge technology. When I was younger, I always found time to balance my passions for all things nerdy with my overall well-being.
Fast-forward into adulthood and working a full-time job, and I found myself quickly gaining weight. I was getting out of shape. I wasn’t happy with how I looked or how I felt – I was exhausted all the time. Sometimes, almost too exhausted to enjoy my nerdy hobbies once I got home from my job.
Something needed to change.
I started to take my health a little bit more seriously. I’m not a health expert by any means, but I found that looking towards healthier food options and integrating some more physical activity – even part time – with my daily life had a hugely positive impact.
I started this blog for a few different reasons:
- To provide a little bit of inspiration to my fellow nerds. If I can do it, so can you.
- To provide a little bit of information to my fellow nerds. I do a lot of research before I adopt any new lifestyle or habit. I want to make sure that what I’m doing to improve my health is actually healthy. I’m not a health expert and I will never claim to be, but I can at least share interesting tidbits that I find.
- To share my love of all things nerdy with my readers. I’ll be alternating between healthy and nerdy blog posts. The two topics are NOT mutually exclusive, and I’d like to prove that.
- To keep myself motivated and inspired. If I have something to keep me accountable, then I can’t fall off the wagon… right?
- To fight back against all of these “pay for info” schemes. I don’t believe that information or motivation about your health should live behind a paywall. I don’t believe that you should have to pay to find a like-minded community of nerds looking to improve their health. I hate that model. And this will never turn into that.
This blog is a giant work in progress. I’ll always be looking to improve what I’m doing, so I look forward to seeing your comments and suggestions along the way.
Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter. — Izaak Walton